Gender transformative evaluation. The case of MGNREGA in India/ looking for help.

Hello everyone, what a great pleasure to join this beautiful network! My name is Salam Abukhadrah and I'm a PhD candidate researching employment policies and its relation to women’s empowerment at Université Sorbonne Paris Cité (USPC). I would like to do a gender transformative evaluation for the case of MGNREGA in India as part of my research. Even though there has been a lot of great work on this matter, I believe there’s still room to further investigate the issue of gender relations and the theoretical underpinnings of evaluation.  I’m developing an evaluation system that combines elements from institutional labour economics, Post Keynesians economics, and feminist economics. I would really appreciate if anyone can help me reach out people or NGOs in the field who are perhaps already working on the same thing. It can be quite frustrating to deal with the logistics of planning a field trip. Thank you all very much in advance.

Views: 296

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi  Salam,

See this document 

Sudarshan, M. R., Murthy, K. R., & Chigateri, S. (2016). Engendering Meta-Evaluations: Towards Women's Empowerment.

http://www.isstindia.org/publications/meta_eval.pdf

An excellent piece of work- meta evaluation by Ranjani Murthy.

Warmly,

Rituu

Hello Rituu, 

Thank you for the reference, it's indeed and a great asset to my research. 

Best.

Salam 

What kind of NGOs are you looking for? What would you need from them? Thanks

Dear Rituu,

Thank you for the reply. I'm interested in NGOs that have worked with/on nrega and that could help me with the logistics of conducting an evaluation for the program. Ideally, this would be an NGO with focus on gender and research and with whom I can perhaps cooperate with. Or just simply an NGO/anyone that can put me in contact with someone who could help me to carry out the research in India. For example, I know the ISST conducted a similar project in India 'Balancing unpaid care work and paid work: successes, challenges and lessons for women’s economic empowerment programmes and policies’. I hope this answers your question. 

Best,

Salam

Dear Salam

I did a meta evaluaiton- that Rituu has mentioned a few years back. 

1. As you are combining feminist economics and Keynesian you may like to get in touch with Dr Indira Hirway,  (she may have moved) who looked at MGNREGS. 
Levy Economics Institute of Bard College
Blithewood
Annandale-on-Hudson NY US 12504-5000 
E-mail: indira.hirway@cfda.ac.in 

2. Padmini Swaminathan. I do not have her email, but works on gender and labour issues

Padmini Swaminathan is an Indian feminist economist. She is the current Chairperson of the Centre for Livelihoods at the Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Hyderabad

Best

Ranjani

Thanks for taking out time and responding to Salam. I appreciate it very much, Ranjani.

I apologise for the late reply. This is really helpful thank you very much I really appreciate it. 

Dear Salam

Can we chat some time?  Have been trying to contact you. 

Best

Ranjani

Dear Ranjani,

Absolutely! I apologize for the late reply. 

Best,

Salam

RSS

© 2024   Created by Rituu B Nanda.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service