Now that more and more parliamentarians join to promote evaluation culture, we need to help them with more resource guides. Parliamentarians Forum developed a brief statement on EF& GR national evaluation system which can be used by parliamentarians in party manifesto and election campaigns. This is the very first draft and please let me know if you have any comments/ inputs. Once finalized we will post it on PFDE website so that interested MPs can use it in election campaigns. We will also translate this in to different languages.
Inputs on EF&GR national evaluation system to be used by parliamentarians in party manifesto and election campaigns
Before the election:
(To be included in the party/ election campaign manifesto)
We ensure all public funds are used effectively and meaningfully by making evidence based policies. X (name of the country) will be in the forefront of measuring development effectiveness by establishing “Equity Focused and Gender Responsive National Evaluation System” directly responsible to the parliament. The evaluation reports will be available for parliamentarians and public to debate with (direct citizen participation in development planning).
To be operationalized after the election:
Equity Focused and Gender Responsive Evaluation system in (country name)
X (name of the country) becomes the first among other countries in the world to establish “Equity Focused and Gender Responsive National Evaluation System” which is responsible to the parliament.
Development effectiveness is ensured in X (name of the country) through results based management and evidence based decision making, planning and budgeting.
- Capacity building of public sector on Equity Focused and Gender Responsive Evaluation and Results Based Management.
- National and sector wide Results Based Management system in place.
- A legal and policy framework for “Equity Focused and Gender Responsive National Evaluation System” is in place.
- Establish “Equity Focused and Gender Responsive National Evaluation Policy” approved by the Cabinet of Ministers or the parliament in line with the United Nations Resolution on evaluation and Global Evaluation Agenda 2016-2020.
- Establish “National Performance Management Unit” under the Presidency or the Prime Minister’s Office which is managed by a Director General appointed by the parliament.
- The Unit establishes an advisory board including;
- Chair of the parliamentary evaluation committee
- Secretary to the President/ Prime Minister
- Secretary to the Ministry of Finance
- Secretary to the Ministry of Plan Implementation
- President of national VOPE
- Resident Representative to the UN mission or a representative appointed by the RR
- A representative from INGOs
- A representative from civil society
Role of the Unit:
- Implementation of operational requirements of the “Equity Focused and Gender Responsive National Evaluation Policy”
- Ensure Results Based Management (RBM) is incorporated in each ministry to ensure effective use of resources allocated and expected results.
- Ensure national budget is prepared and monitored according to Results Based Management principles.
- Ensure public sector officials are familiar and practice Results Based Management.
- Ensure evidence based decision making through data management system in each ministry level which feeds to a national data management system.
- Manage and coordinate sector specific and national evaluations and disseminate findings to the Cabinet of Ministers and the parliament.
- Prepare and disseminate “National Status of Evaluation Report”
- Establish parliamentary mechanisms to ensure demand and use of evaluation and monitor development effectiveness.
- Each ministry has a results based planning, budgeting and reporting system. Each ministry makes policy decisions based on data gathered through the management information system.
- International community including United Nations to support the system with technical expertise and resources.
 South Africa is a perfect example to learn from
 Malaysia is a perfect example to learn from